Sunday, August 31, 2008

Milwaukee Invaded By Bikers!





This weekend was Harleyfest in Milwaukee, and so all restaurants, bars, convenience shops, and hotels were welcoming the bikers from around the country to descend upon Milwaukee with fervor. And they did. You pretty much couldn't go anywhere this weekend without seeing hairy men and their ladies strapped to the back of their bikes. And, since Arlo and I neither have motorcycles nor would look good in a leather vest and pants combo, we did not join in the festivities. Instead we have found plenty of things to do by foot, by car, and by non-motorized bike.

On Thursday, we went to see a jazz concert in Chicago. This weekend was Chicago's Jazz Festival, the largest free jazz festival in the U.S., I believe, and the kick-off was Sonny Rollins on Thursday night. Despite not being a huge fan of jazz, I took part, mostly because I knew it would make Arlo happy, and I didn't have anything else that was calling to me, besides E! or the Style Network. It was really cool! He played each song for like 20-30 minutes! It was like the Grateful Dead of jazz! And with the backdrop of Chicago behind the outdoor stage (Millenium Hall), it was perfect.

That pretty much set off our weekend on a good note. On Friday, we headed down to Racine to hang out with his mom and Mary and to go to a fish fry. I will not be describing my meal in detail, but if you want to know exactly what I ate, you can comment and I will give you a critical recall of the tasty delights of Chartroom Charlie's. On Saturday, Arlo and I were committed to cleaning the garage, or at least I was, and Arlo went to it full force with me, despite not being a huge fan of the idea, much like me with the jazz concert. We successfully emptied and organized our garage enough so that we could actually fit our two cars in the 2.5 car garage. Huzzah! Now, unfortunately, we still have lots of crap to go through out on the porch...but at least it's out of the garage! Afterwards we celebrated by taking an awesome photo series in which we are doing a jumping high-five. I really want to post it, but it's currently trapped in Arlo's camera, so check back later to see it. Energized by our organization and photographical success, we packed a lunch and biked to the shore of Lake Michigan for a picnic. Sandwiches made from tomatoes from Jerry's (Arlo's dad) garden and local cheese. It was delicious (spoken like Matt's impression from SNL of all the news stories about Gerald Ford dying in different ways). Lake Michigan is very cool. Because you can't see land across the way, it's almost like the beach. No great sandy shores though, and the water just a bit too cold for swimming.

Today was not as exciting, as most of it was spent following the directions of our GPS to various furniture shops in the hopes of buying the perfect couch during Labor Day sales. Alas, no couch was to be had. Rest of the day spent cleaning the windows, doing laundry, and other stuff way too boring to add.

Other exciting tidbits:

1. I now have homemade curtains in two, count them, two rooms. I will post pictures toute de suite.
2. Facebook is slowly becoming my favorite thing to check out when I wake up in the morning (sadly).
3. I find that Shannon Dougherty's lop-sided face still bothers me after all these years.
4. I wish I was as smart as Bill.
5. This Wednesday is our 1 1/2 year anniversary!

Word!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am DYING to hear a detailed description of your fried fare. Also, I have added you to the rather long list of fellows with similar wishes.

amanda said...

Congrats on getting the garage cleaned. That is quite a feat.

The pics are adorable.

Give me the deets on the fish fry lady.

Kevbo said...

I don't care about the fish fry, well, at least hearing about it. Eating it sounds delicious, especially as I am starving right now. Also - I say "it was delicious" about twice a week, and can't hear the word delicious without hearing it in my head, and usually saying it out loud. I always thought it was a thing I did with you, and alas, I am dissappointed to find out it is really your thing with Matt. Damn that Matt.

jenr78 said...

I was definitely a thing I did with you, but the original experience I have to say was with Matt. He popped my "It was delicious" cherry. That doesn't mean it wasn't just a special with you, though. :)