Monday, August 11, 2008

Fire, Chicago, and Blended Pet Families




Okay, so it's been a long time (feels like) since I last posted. Much has been going on, including (in no specific order according to time or importance) Arlo putting up a dog run in the backyard for Marley, me attaching a way-cool and hopefully functional kitty escape hatch with our bedroom door (imagine a chain lock New York city apartment-style that stops the door from opening to Marley-size), a yummy meal at hibachi-style Shogun in Racine and another the next day at Bella's Fat Cat in Milwaukee with Arlo's family, several non-aggressive or passive-aggressive phone calls with my mother, our first farmer's market here (so cool as it is on the coast of the lake, which I have to say trumps the surroundings of both of the farmer's markets in baltimore, sorry to say), reappearance of Rock Band, and a trip to Chicago. It's been a busy and fun-filled last couple of days and I'm sort of sad that I will be beginning my job search this week. I kind of want to put it off for another week or so, and think that I just might. Breaks are good, right? And besides, we have so many events coming up that it would be a shame to try and squeeze work into the mix. We are soon heading to Minneapolis for a wedding, going to see King Henry IV upstate, and several concerts already planned including Bon Iver next week, Abigail Washburn and the Sparrow Quartet next month, and Ray Lamontagne in October. Mind you these are not even bands I would have heard about if not for Arlo, but I'm pretty excited for all three.
So, aside from the fact that I'm really far from friends and family, life is pretty good. I'm happy in our house, Arlo and I continue to do well, figuring each other out as we go, having some good laughs, and me trying not to take anything too seriously, and there has been no bloodshed amongst the beasts. Speaking of the beasts- update: Siddartha and Fizgig ventured out while Marley was on a walk, and with a babygate up, Sidd stayed out when Marley came home. It was pretty funny, albeit a bit alarming too, when Sidd sat, poised for action, Marley paws up on the gate, when it suddenly fell, scaring the crap out of Marley, same for Sidd, then both flew in separate directions, and I freaked out and shut the door to the bedroom. On the plus side, a few minutes later both cats were laying on the bed, not cowering under it in fear. That's an improvement!! I think we are going to try actual interaction with them tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on the Brady Bunch of Beasts.
In the meantime, I swear I will call each of you, so expect a phone call sometime after 10 your time sometime this week. I really need to charge my phone. Take care, y'all!!! I miss you all very much!

No comments: