Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Something Only I Might Find Exciting



It is not a Monday or a Friday, but I did feel it was a good night to post, b/c A. it's only 9:30 and I'm not incredibly exhausted, and B. I have good reason to post, only it may just be me who thinks that. I just got back from a fantastic dinner with Arlo at a restaurant called Triskele. He had all-you-can-eat mussels and I had a cherry snapper sandwich with awesome french fries. Oh, and a yummy martini with chambord and pineapple juice. We sat at the bar, talking and watching the cooks (so cool that the kitchen was at the bar), and we had a great time. Alas, that's not the reason for the post. The real reason is that I finished my first project today- the kitchen table. I took my grandparents' kitchen table from the 50's and refinished it. I sanded it off, got most of the rust off, and added some new paint. Arlo found these fantastic chairs outside our neighbor's house and we re-appolstered the seats with sparkley red vinyl. I attached photos for all to ooh and ahh if you wish. Next up, the curtains! Oh, and I did start my job search, only that's not nearly so exciting! I mean, anytime you add toxic chemicals and sparkles to the mix, that can only be a good thing, right?!?! One more thing, and this is probably only something Kevin would find cool, being my tool buddy (okay, not in that way...) there is a neighborhood True Value hardware store 3 minutes up the street from our house. I can walk to it, and in fact, we did the other day during a walk with Marley. I love the neighborhood hardware store. Perhaps not the choices you'd find at Home Depot, but the people who work there know much more and love to help you. Hell, I brought part of the table in that I couldn't get apart, and one of the guys there sawed off the bolt in the back, no charge, and he seemed happy to problem-solve. I get the feeling I'll be there quite a bit in the future.

Take care, y'all! I hope all is well in Baltimore. :)

5 comments:

Matt said...

Hello Fair Jennifer,
I found the link to this blog off of your Facebook, so nice work setting that up. I have enjoyed reading about your getting rooted out there. Maybe I'll start posting to my blog again!

I must say the table and chairs look pretty good. I would be proud to sit on them.

Also, WTF is up with only sending well wishes to your friends in Baltimore! Some of them are a few minutes northeast of there, got it?!?

Unknown said...

Umm. I forgot to say that your blog was improving, if for no other reason than its propensity to discuss subject like me more often.

Keep up the good work!

Bill

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work lady, love it!

However, I do have to say....seems to me you're enjoying it there a bit to much. You just may decide down the line that you don't love us as much and may not come home. =o) joking..maybe, haha. *hugs*

any cute guys and the hardware store? maybe you can put them in a box and ship them here.

Kevbo said...

The table and chair are awesome. I have always wanted a garage that I set up like a 50's diner. Also, the local hardware store sounds nice, in my mind the accents are thick and the collars are very, very blue. -KH

jenr78 said...

Responding to Kevin's comment. Thanks for the compliment, we are definitely digging the 50's vibe in the kitchen. The hardware store is great! Definitely working class awesomeness where they magically have anything one might need. Oh, and as far as addresses, yeah, you can use my jreit001@umaryland.edu instead of my old work address, and Arlo's bcps address is also defunct. Use arlohorton@hotmail.com for his email. Hope you and jess and nathaniel are well! Take care.