Monday, April 20, 2009

My To-Do List

There have been some exciting developments in the last week or so! One, we had our first day where the temperature went above 70, and all of Wisconsin rejoiced. There were people out walking, riding bikes, babies smiling, the whole thing. Of course it lasted less than 24 hours and now it's back to being cold and kind of gloomy. Tonight we are actually expecting snow! :( However, that's not going to get my mood down, because two, I have a burgeoning to-do list that's awesome!! Behold, The List:

1. I ordered a new cat-feeder and I am going to try and put my love of carpentary and my love of twarting my cats from food together in the this brand new project. As this feeder was over $100, I thought it would be worthwhile (and fun) to try and use the feeder for two cats. So, I am going to be building a contraption that will allow food from the one chute to go into two bowls. This could be disaster or it could be the answer to all of my catfood prayers.
2. Arlo and I are going to be joining a CSA (Community Suported Agriculture). This means we will have fresh, seasonal vegetables all summer and into fall! And here's the best part- we get to work on a farm!!!! The one that we are joining has a "work share" where you can work off half of the cost of the CSA. It's only 25 hours and when we go together, we count both of our hours. I am so excited!!!! Laura, who runs it, said that we could be doing weeding, harvesting, building stuff, demolishing stuff (yay!), and working at the farmers' market (Arlo's excited about this task). In addition to all of the delivered stuff, we can also go and pick asparagus and raspberries anytime we want! So cool!
3. I will be trained to teach water aerobics! The other day, I asked an instructor at the YMCA why they don't have any water aerobics on the weekends, and she said that they have trouble finding instuctors. She asked if I would be interested, and despite my lack of any experience whatsoever, she said I could do it, and she could train me! So, not sure when I'm starting but I'm totally excited about doing this.
4. Arlo and I are planning a trip to go cabin camping for the weekend! We found a couple of different cabins and aren't sure which cabin or which weekend, but it's definitely happening.
We are going to see if his sister and her boyfriend and kids want to join as well. I've never been cabin camping, so I'm super-stoked.

I will keep you posted on how everything is progressing (an hopefully adding pictures).

So what are everyone else's plans for the Spring?

As always, miss you all dearly and hope all is going well.

Kevin, sorry about my lack of webcam, but didn't get a chance to get one on Sunday. However, it's on my list!! I'll let you know when it happens and we can Skype our brains out!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jen:

My to-do list includes:

1. Be awesome (Check)
2. Beat Andrej to the punch (Check)
3. Go to be, awesomely...check

Glad to hear there's warmer weather.

jenr78 said...

Wow, Bill, looks like you're back on top...this is the third time in a row, right? Andrej, are you sleeping?

Bill, nothing on your to-do list for the baby???!?!? You selfish bastard! I guess technically you could say that number one is partially for the baby. In #3, did you mean Go to bed?

Me too!

chovak said...

I'm as boggled as you are, Jen. The first time, I'm pretty sure Bill had some help from the author, but this time I'm not sure what happened. Your post arrived in my feed reader at 10:37, even though you posted it a couple hours earlier (I'm guessing 7pm your time). Very strange.

But don't be too shocked by Bill's selfish list. I think he was so excited to be #1 again that he didn't spare time for much thought, let alone reading your post past the second sentence.

On another note, Jen, the second item on your list sounds simultaneously awesome and kinda weird. It sounds right up your alley, and I'm sure you'd really enjoy it. And the program's probably really beneficial for some reason I'm missing. But paying money to be able to work on a farm...? That sounds like when privileged white people pay exorbitant fees for a poverty tour in a third-world country so they can really live like poor folk.

I am looking forward to the cat-feeder-cam.

jenr78 said...

Weird, Andrej,it's almost as though your computer wants Bill to post before you too. And you're right, the first time he did have help from me, when he was here in Wisconsin. But the last time Bill beat you to the punch, it was all him!
Regarding the CSA, I may have not been clear enough. Basically, with a CSA, you pay them a fee (usually around $300-$400 or so) and you get fresh vegetables and fruit all season. I think J & K joined one last summer. The difference wth this one is that instead of paying all of that much, we get to work off half of the payment. So, the way I see it, we get to pay less and I get to play in the dirt. Oh, and BTW, I have totally paid to work several times, my friend. Yes, it is a distinctly middle to upper-middle-class white thing to do, but how else could I have helped to build a house in college?!?! Oh, I guess I could have worked in construction, but that would lose its luster after the first week or so. But I digress, it's not like this is a blog, it's the comments section. Geesh!

Unknown said...

Let it be known that I am first to comment on Jen's new sub-blog.

I can't believe Andrej would be so cynical to believe (1) that I needed any assistance to beat him 3X consecutively; and (2) that people of other colors, creeds, etc. do not participate in co-ops! I think it's pretty great that you're doing it, Jen. I thinks it's better that you created a sub-blog for further stat keeping.