Friday, April 10, 2009

The Harf!

Today I received a lovely gift. Phay sent me a photo montage of the harf I made her for Christmas, but didn't actually finish until about a week ago. For those of you not in the know, a "harf" or "scrat" is a scarf-hat combo. When I finished, I added fleece to the inside of the harf to cut down on the Detroit wind, as I used a fairly loose "basket weave" stitch. I found a pattern for this online, made it Phay-like by doing it in a cool gray-scale yarn. So as to not drive myself nuts, I actually allowed myself to give it to her un-finished and then spent the next several months getting more yarn and finally completing it. I think it was worth the wait, and I think Phay agrees. For those of you in Maryland and Pennsylvania, you may not have the opportunity to wear something like this as your weather is finally getting warmer, for Phay and me, we still have a chance, as we could have weather that's below freezing for several weeks to come. So, I didn't feel too badly about sending it to her this late in the year.



Phay's really excited and shocked...what could this be?!?!










Anyway, I wanted you all to rejoice in Phay's montage as well. I scaled it down (as she sent 14 pics!) and chose my favs. Behold, the harf! How awesome does Phay look?!?! She rocks the harf!





Please note the handy re-use of a typical house-hold object to protect the harf in-transit!
I would now like to challenge you. Should you have any cool shots of you wearing/using/admiring things I have made for you throughout the years, please send them to me! I realized when talking with Phay today that I have made a crap-load of home-made gifts throughout the years. Most of my cool stuff went to friends and family. It's cool if you don't have easy access to the pics and so you can't send them. This is just a challenge should you choose to accept it.

Not much else to report right now. Just hanging out, watching TLC, sitting with the cats, while Arlo is bartending. After posting, it gets really exciting...I'm going to clean the bathroom! I miss you all and hope everyone is well, happy, and warm.

Oh yeah, one more thing....Happy birthday to my mom, although she doesn't read this, because she didn't know about it. At first this was on purpose, but then I just forgot to tell her. Just wanted everyone else to know that yay, it's my mom's birthday!

Night y'all

Okay, I lied, one more thing. Saw Brandi Carlisle last night. Freakin awesome concert! Originals and covers of Hallelujah (some of you have heard this on 88.1), Let It Be (which makes me think of Letter B from Sesame Street), and Folsom Prison Blues. Very cool. Arlo, does this make you proud?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jen! I'm back and the hard looks great!
Amanda and I miss ya and ask arlo if he's
Heard of a band called blind pilot.

chovak said...

The harf looks awesome, much better design than I could've imagined.

A challenge? Hah. No problem. Hardly a challenge. Just like beating Bill at commenting used not to be.

Phay said...

oh andrej you have no idea how awesome it is! i even got to rock it today when i went out for coffee...in the next few days, i hope to see how it fares whilst riding a bike

Kevbo said...

Very nice entry, I enjoyed the harf photo montage, and the music update. Jen, the station is 89.7 though, I don't know if they played it on 88.1. This reminds me I haven't updated my blog in a while. -KH

jenr78 said...

Yeah, you'd better get on that, Holler, everyone is wondering what you're watching, who you're watching it with and what your general mood is. :)