Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To-Do List Update

It's been an exciting last several weeks, with lots of fun stuff and some not-so-great stuff.
Two weeks ago, Arlo and I had our first day working at the CSA. We worked off 8 of our 25 hours, planting onions and weeding. The farm was really neat, and Laura, who runs it, showed us around and gave us an idea of the fruits and veggies we can expect this summer. It was a nice day, complete with a stop at a local cheese place for about 16 samples of cheese and fresh icecream. I think Arlo jmay go up more often now that he knows that the cheese stop is on the way. That night we saw a play with his father. It was very good, but also sad, because Arlo's grandfather is slowly fading right now, and the play was about a grown son and his dying father. The next day, Arlo went down to Racine to visit and I stayed here to work on our yard and work on the cat feeder. It was an extremely productive and busy day, and at the end, I had half of a front yard finished, a small vegetable garden in the backyard, and one semi-finished cat feeder. Throughout the week, I worked on it so that it would be finished in time to be able use it for this last weekend. Why? Because Arlo and I were going to be staying in a cabin near LaCresent, Wisconsin, where his sister lives.
This past weekend was so much fun! I got out of work as early as possible on Friday, and we headed West. It took about 3 1/2 hours to get there, and we made it just in time to unpack and meet his sister, Sally, and her boyfriend, Jamie, for a fish fry. Awesome fish fry!!! All of it was fantastic, and I found out that fish dipped in butter, while incredibly unhealthy, is freaking deliciously amazing. After dinner, Arlo and I headed back to the cabin. We hung out playing games and drinking and went to bed in the loft. The next day we took a great hike/walk around the nature preserve and relaxed before the craziness would begin. At around 1:30, it struck in the form of Sally, Jamie, and their kids Garrick, Nolan, and Lauren. We ate, played baseball in the field, looked for frogs, got into lots of mischief, and had a couple of melt-downs (mostly the kids). Arlo's mom and Mary came as well, and we went on a tour of a Norwegian homestead circa 1890. After that, dinner at the cabin and a fire! The kids made it to about 9:00 and then the grown-ups stayed around the fire for another several hours. It was really nice. The next day, breakfast, crazing packing and Arlo and I were left, alone, again. We stayed for a bit longer, then headed to visit his mom and Mary for Mother's Day on the way back to our place. Arlo felt sick, so it's wasn't a fun drive for him. I was pretty miserable about having to start work the next day. Other than that, I think we were both happy about the weekend.

Now it's back to the work week, although the weekend's just around the corner. Unfortunately, the cat feeder isn't complete, as I found out pretty quickly that they can still sneak food out by sticking their paws up the auger. So, I've decided, though this cuts back on cost efficiency of getting the one feeder, to build a box to go around the entire thing. Of course, they'll still try to get food, I'm just hoping that this way they'll be less successful.
We still have much to look forward to the next few weeks. We will be working at the CSA more, coming to Baltimore for a visit the weekend of June 5, going canoing with his mom and Mary in July (I think), Winnipeg Folk Festival (Yes, Kevin, of course there has to be a music festival), and Summerfest (the biggest music festival in the U.S., it's several weeks long and held each year in Milwaukee) in July as well (Yes, Kevin, another music festival).
Can't wait to see you all in June!!! Can't wait to have a couple of days off of work!!! Can't wait to have some warmer weather!!!!

Peace out, y'all!

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Ha ha! I'm first!

Jessica said...

Okay, now that I'm first, I can actually respond... How long will you be home? When you figure out your schedule, let me know if you want to try to get together. You'll be here near Natty's first birthday!

Talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

damn you jess! I read and love jen's blog. Obviosly more than Andre. And kevbo

jenr78 said...

Tee hee hee...Way to go Jess!! You came in under the radar. Regarding our visit, we will be leaving here Wednesday night, coming in around early evening Thursday, and then leaving on Monday morning and driving ALL THE WAY HOME in one day! We will definitely have to get together and I can't wait to see Natty! You and Kevin, too, of course!
Bill- good job, but not good enough. I'm glad you like the blog though. You should start your own sub-blog on my blog.

chovak said...

Perfect! You'll be in town just in time for my garden party, June 6, formal attire only, white gloves preferred.

Still waiting for live kittycam streaming video of the catfeeder at work.

Phay said...

i really love how smart your cats are when it comes to getting food...glad you're getting warmer weather out there

jenr78 said...

Yay, a party! I want details! And, yes, you will get video of the feeder working, just haven't had a chance yet.

Jessica said...

Can't wait to see you guys! I'll try not to let that weekend book up. I think Kevin took off on the 5th and I always have Fridays off, so that will give us a little more flexibility. Keep me posted on what days look good for you guys.

jenr78 said...

I'll keep you posted as the date gets closer. Perhaphs Saturday night would be good, or Friday night after Jerry's party.


Bill, where are you?!??!

chovak said...

Apparently Bill's heart isn't in the commenting when I'm not beating the pants off of him. Did he even read this post? It's a legitimate question.